Files may be the most useful tool I have found for writing. After the word processor that is.
I use files for all sorts of things:
- Sorting out different story ideas. Each one having it’s own folder. Keeping them easily to hand.
- Keeping article idea separate from story ideas in my file drawer.
- Highlighting character name suggestions in my file drawer. It’s nice to not have to try and think them up on the spot.
- Holding onto tiny descriptive details that I have thought of over the years. Usually on tiny scraps of paper. Now that I know where they are I can sprinkle in those details whenever I need them.
- Helping to edit. They keep edited pages away from non edited pages and help sort out where I am in the process.
I know my mom can’t stand files and finds them more trouble than they are worth but I really love them, they have saved my sanity over the last few years. So I guess they are like all organizing tools, they only work if you like them.