Cream of Broccoli Soup is one of my favorite soups. Yesterday I made quite a good batch mostly by the seat of my pants, so I typed up the recipe below from how I made it so I wouldn’t forget. Feel free to substitute butter for the lard and shmaltz.
Cream of Broccoli Soup
- 1 pound of broccoli
- Lard and shmaltz (chicken fat)
- Garlic powder
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 oz feta (more to taste)
- 4 oz white cheddar (more to taste)
- Sour cream
- Celery salt
- First cut the broccoli top into one inch florets. Peal the stem and hack off the woody bottom, before cutting into half inch slices. In a large heavy bottomed frying pan heat lard and shmaltz to medium heat(a drop of water sizzles when it fall in and disappears in one second but does not burn the lard) add chopped broccoli and fry until stark green and lightly browned around the edges. Will smell slightly caramelized.
- Sprinkle in herbs and stir to coat. Add chicken broth and bring back up to simmer. Turn down heat to low simmer and cover. Cook for 30 min.
- Transfer mixture to blender. (I use a vita mix) Blend for one minute until all broccoli is pureed. Add cheeses and blend again. Season to taste with more cheese and pepper. Pour into saucepan and keep over low heat until served. Serve hot with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of celery salt.
PS: I make my own celery salt by drying the top leaves of a bunch of celery, and crushing them with some sea salt. Its great stuff and uses up those extra celery leaves.